Friday, January 6, 2012

Bringing in the New Year in at Frances in San Francisco

I finally got into Frances and it was worth the wait.  I was initially drawn to the menu because it’s small-plate style and I prefer restaurants where I can order multiple things for myself and get away with it.  Everything was delicious, fresh, and beautifully plated.  My only criticisms are that you can NEVER get a reservation before 9pm and that the cocktail menu is very lacking.  The food is updated comfort food that would have gone nicely with an interesting cocktail.

My other comment is that the food is VERY rich.  There was absolutely no lack of cream in the soup, polenta, chickpea fritter dipping sauce (and probably batter for that matter).  I didn’t feel my lightest after the meal, but I genuinely loved it all.  The grilled calamari and red snapper were the standouts.  

Chickpea Fritters

Grilled Calamari

Sunchoke and Celery Root Sup

Red Snapper

Side of Polenta and Mushrooms

Cheese Plate

No comments:

Post a Comment