Saturday, June 18, 2011

Homemade Granola

Baked granola
Although my blog may often come across as me complaining about how nothing in Argentina is as good as it is in the States, I must clarify that this is only the case for food.  If I was not Argentina's #1 fan, then I would not have lived here for 2.5 years.  With that said, the culinary staple that I miss the most in my diet is a good granola.  Nothing makes me happier than browsing the bulk granola bins at wholefoods and mixing almond vanilla crunch with ginger snap crunch and flaxseed crunch into one amazing bag of Anna's granola crunch (then mark it at the lowest bulk price of the 3, of course).  If I've lost you, please go to your nearest wholefoods immediately or consider moving to California. 

My point is that I've now run out of my granola medley, raisin bran crunch, peanut butter puffins, and all other breakfast reinforcements I brought back with me.  To make a long story, well, long… I made my own basic granola and am calling all chefs to send me their fav recipes because I need help finding an even better recipe!


Ingredients:
500 grams not-instant oats
200 grams slivered almonds
100 grams dried fruit (I used cranberries from the states)
1/4 cup maple syrup (reserve half for after cooking)
2 large spoonfuls of peanut butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
Any extras (chocolate, coconut, other nuts, etc)

Directions: Spread oats onto baking sheet.  Add peanut butter and 1/2 of the maple syrup to a cup and warm up until the peanut butter melts into the syrup.  Spread over oats and coat each grain.  I use my hands for this part.  If the almonds are raw, put them in before baking.  If they are already toasted, add them after.  Add cinnamon and salt.

Bake in over on low-med heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes.  Remove from over and add nuts and dried fruit.  Add the remaining syrup or honey and mix again.  Let cool.

*Do not add dried fruit until after or it will burn and become too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment