|Cheesy, beef ragout, polenta lasagna|
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound beef cut into large pieces
- 1/2 cup good-quality dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-2 canned tomatoes or pulp, juices reserved
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound semi-soft cheese, such as fior di sardegna or tuscan caciotta, or young Spanish manchego, shredded
- 2 cups instant polenta prepared according to package with milk, not water, and some cheese
For the sauce: add the onion to a pan with olive and saute until clear and cooked through. Add garlic, onion, bay leaves, and beef. Start to brown the beef and add the wine and let it cook off for a few minutes. Add tomato paste and canned tomatoes. Let cook on low heat for at least an hour until sauce reduces and becomes very thick. Add salt, pepper, basil, or any other herbs you like (provencal, rosemary, etc).
Add half of the sauce over the first layer, then another layer of polenta. Top with the rest of the sauce and all of the cheese. Cook in the oven on medium heat until the cheese is melted and crispy.