- 1 pound dry beans, largest you can find
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 pound bacon or panceta, roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dried sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili flakes (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 package instant polenta
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated (any sharp cheese is fine)
- Queso Finlandia
Prepare the polenta. Read the directions and prepare the polenta based on the number of portions you want. Adjust accordingly. Bring milk to a simmer with a pinch of salt. Turn off heat. Quickly drizzle in polenta and stir quickly. Add 3/4 of cheese and 4 generous tablespoons of finlandia. Add salt and pepper to taste. I find that it often needs quite a bit to salt to bring all the flavors out.
Serve beans over polenta and sprinkle with remaining cheese.