|The outcome, not the best photo of all time!|
- 1 package whole wheat pasta (I choose a tricolor one)
- Fresh basil
- Handful of chopped walnuts or other nut of choice (pine nuts are the traditional, but super expensive here so I usually use almonds, but had walnuts this time.
- Sharp cheese (I use goat, but usually use parmesan)
- 1 eggplant - cut into bite size pieces
- 2 carrots - sliced
- 1 bell pepper - chopped
- 1 onion
- garlic (1 bulb for pesto and 1 for veggies)
- 15+ cherry tomatoes
- olive oil, salt, and pepper
Directions: First make the pesto by adding the basil, 1 garlic bulb, 1/4 cup shaved cheese, a handful of nuts, salt and pepper to a blender or food processor. Then add about a 1/5 of a cup of olive oil. Most recipes call for more oil until the pesto become paste like, but I find that you have to add so much oil that it's greasy and unhealthy. So I just add a bit of water until it starts becoming a paste. I also usually add about half a container of queso finlandia if I'm going to use it on sandwiches etc. In this case, I didn't because it seemed like overkill.
Add chopped onion and garlic to a pan and saute until golden and clear. Add eggplant and peppers and cook for about 5-7 min. When eggplant is nearly done, add carrots. I hate overcooked carrots, so I add them last. Cook until eggplant is done.
In the meantime, bring salted water to a boil and add pasta cooking until done. Drain pasta, add veggies, cherry tomatoes, and pesto to your liking. Voila!